For any face, there is a shape that it can be reduced to: square, round, oval, diamond, triangle, heart or oblong. And for every shape there is an eyeglasses style that fits juts right. The perfect frame enhances your features and makes you look (and feel) better than without glasses. Usually, you have to pick eyeglasses in the opposite shape of your face: oval glasses for square faces and the other way around. It’s important to know that no face shape is better than another, and that each one is beautiful in its own right. Just by knowing what your face shape is, you can already work on emphasizing your best features with the aid of eyewear. Here are the main face shapes and their correspondents in eyewear, as well as our number one choices for the respective shape:
1. Square face – Celebrities like Demi Moore, Katie Holmes or Salma Hayek have an angular face, with a strong jaw line and a square chin. The length and width of the face are approximately equal. In order to make the face seem more rounded, oval and butterfly shaped glasses are recommended.
Our choice: JLo 209 eyeglasses, $89
2. Round face – With full cheeks and a rounded chin, the round face is characteristic of celebs like Kirsten Dunst, Cameron Diaz or Michelle Williams, with a proportional length and width, and lacking angles almost completely. The recommended frames for this shape are geometrical, horizontal, attracting attention to the upper half of the face.
Our choice: Armani Exchange AX137 eyeglasses, $97
3. Oval face – This is the standard type of face, with high cheekbones, the chin narrower than the forehead, and generally proportionate. Almost any frame works on oval shaped faces – just think of Megan Fox and her impressive collection of eyeglasses!
Our choice: Fossil Jayden eyeglasses, $95
4. Triangle face – The forehead is narrow and the cheeks and chin are wider, like in the case of Minnie Driver, Kate Hudson or Gena Davis. This type of face asks for semi-rimless frames that place the accent on the upper part of the face.
Our choice: Cover Girl CG0500, $90
5. Oblong face – Longer than wide, this type of face has angular features, a long nose and a tall forehead. You’ve seen it on Liv Tyler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Giselle Bundchen, among others. The best frames for this face are tall ones, with accentuated temples.
Our choice: Carrera 7503 eyeglasses, $110
6. Diamond face – This is an angular shape, with prominent cheekbones, and a narrow eye line and jaw line. Nicole Kidman has it, and so do Elizabeth Hurley and Scarlet Johansson. The best frames for this shape are oval, rimless or cat eye shaped.
Our choice: Vogue 3797 eyeglasses, $83.
7. Heart shape – Also known as inverted triangle, this shape features a broad forehead, wide cheeks and a narrow chin. Rihanna, Tyra Banks and Jennifer Lopez all share this shape. Round frames soften the upper half of this shape, and low-set temples also help.
Our choice: Juicy Couture 102 eyeglasses, $118
This post is contributed by Jarin Mariea. She enjoys reading and writing about fashion and style. Recently eyeglasses collection at GlassesOneWeb.com enticed her focus on writing this post.